born in 1868 Glasgow, Scotland
died in 1928 London, UK
. first apprenticed to a local architect John Hutchison, in Glasgow.
. got further architecture education by evening classes at the Glasgow School of Art.
. won the prestigious Alexander Thomson Travelling Studentship in 1890 and this allowed him to make an architectural tour of Italy.
. by 1896, was designing furniture for Messrs. Guthrie and Wells and exhibiting with H. J. Macnair and Frances and Margaret Macdonald as "The Four".
. made his first grand architectural project, the Glasgow Herald Building, in 1899 while working with the Honeyman and Keppie architectural practice.
. in 1903, became a partner of Honeyman and Keepie.
. in 1906, designed the Scotland Street School, which became his last major architectural commission.
. due to economic crisis, resigned from Honeyman and Keppie in 1913 and started his own design office, however was unable to sustain it.
. in 1914, moved to London with his wife and continued to paint and to create textile designs.
. between 1923-1927 created a large portfolio of architecture and landscape watercolor paintings.
. died on December 10, 1928, in London, in a nursing home.
. had a considerable influence on European design and had been an inspiration to MEDes.
Argyle Chair, 1897, for Cassina S.p.A.
Queen's Cross Church, 1898, in Glasgow
Glasgow School of Art, 1899, in Glasgow
Hill House Scotland, 1902-1904, for the publisher Walter Blackie.
Hill House Chair, 1903, for Cassina S.p.A.
Willow, 1903, for Cassina S.p.A.